Tuesday 25 November 2014

Courthouse Visit

Courthouse Visit
Moranda Frenette

     Personally if I was a professional journalist I would enjoy doing courthouse and crime reporting. This is because I find the information within a court house involving crime situations rather fascinating. Also, some court cases seem to drag on over the same information over a lengthy amount of time.

    Although, in some ways I think it would be hard because many criminals and family members of set criminal would see your face and be able to read what you had written about their loved one. As a journalist for these cases and investigations, you would have to be very careful to avoid taking sides because if as a journalist, you were more lenient towards the side of the for say police officer rather than the one who is being convicted of a certain crime, could result in trouble with the public.  

     When first walking into the courtroom this morning, November 25th of 2014, I felt extremely stressed to hear what the cases were about. However, I only expected to hear one case, not 2 or 3. During the experience, my emotions fluxed back and forth, I was disgusted by one of the men involved and what he had a hearing for. As for the other person, I felt almost a sense of sympathy, she was young and had four children at home and one away getting a further education, but she did deserve to be held under custody for the crimes she had committed. After the trials, my mind was still stuck on the facial expressions of the people involved, the first man was straight faced, and the second woman showed signs of crying. However, through the entire time we spent at the court house, the judge always had a stern look. It was as if they had almost become hardened after hearing so many cruel, or stupid cases.

     Personally, a job in the court room doesn't overly interest me very much. I certainly wouldn't like to deal with the things they do on a daily basis. Although, I am very glad and grateful that these courageous people are able to do so for the protection of our regions. The only job I would personally consider would be that of a police officer, although, it is a very long shot for me to steer my life in that direction. 

     The court hearings were nothing like what I thought they would be, perhaps it was because the only thing I experienced even remotely close was watching a movie or television show. Everyone involved wasn't as strict as I thought they would be, but they most definitely did not tolerate foolishness in the court room. Of course, they are human beings as well, but it greatly surprises me on how people can do these set jobs. 




No comments:

Post a Comment